Saturday, January 22, 2011

Manaus Tomorrow!

I didn’t have class today, so what did I do? Lay out in the sun of course! it was around 80 degrees and humid, comparable to a cool summer day in Florida. Classes have been going great. Global studies has been a breeze so far. I was assigned to a group of 7 total people and we need to make a PowerPoint presentation surrounding the theme of HIV as it relates to locals in South Africa. Aside from that, no work outside of class. International business is turning out to be pretty easy as well. My professor is from the University of Florida and he seems really cool. We have only had to read outside of coming to class. The big project requires us, working alone, to come up with a product that would sell well in any port that we visit. He hasn’t told any details past that, so hopefully it’s nothing too hard. My world religions class is interesting. My professor is a very…spiritual guy, but knowledgeable nonetheless. We’re required to do 3 FDP’s (faculty directed practica) and write a 750-1000 word paper for each one expressing our opinion about the religion that we learned about and what we thought of the port itself, all of which are due towards the end of the voyage, which isn’t too much to ask for by any means. My human effects on the coastal systems class is quite a bitch though. My professor is great, but the work load is a little overwhelming. We’re required to do 3 FDPs and write a 1500-2000 word paper on each FDP about what we did, what kind of system it was, and basic threats that system is exposed to, and each paper is due two days after we leave the port the FDP was in. Plus, we have to individually make a 10 minute presentation which is due towards the end of the semester. A little much for now, but manageable. My music class seems like it’s going to be pretty easy. My professor is a crazy older Indian guy with a thick Indian accent, but he seems really cool. He shared his first Grateful Dead concert experience with us during the first class. He told us how his roommate showed up in their apartment with his girlfriend, explained to him that they were doing LSD and how to get to the concert, and then how he was engulfed in a smog of marijuana smoke when they arrived. But anyway, we’re only required to do 2 FDPs and write at least 1000 words each about anything involving the music we learned about in port. That can include what type it was, how we thought it sounded, what instruments were being played, how the instruments were made, anything like that. But no real outside work for that class aside from reading. Well, think I’ve explained my academic situation thoroughly enough, hope you’re happy mom. The Roommate situation is great. We don’t see too much of each other but when we do, we get along pretty well. Oh, did I mention he’s gay?  I think I’ve brought this up to date well enough. Tomorrow is Manaus and I’ve got all day to explore before my flight to Rio! Definitely should be a good time. I’ll try to update this  as much as I can in Rio.

No comments:

Post a Comment